Monday, February 8, 2016

Find Your Sink

Several years ago, during one of many attended Calvary Blythe ladies retreats, I was given a very valuable lead on a method to overcome a lifetime struggle - the inability to maintain my household. This profound approach was created by a woman who calls herself the FlyLady. While I found her system to be very sound, motivating, and encouraging, I could never quite 100% apply it. It was today that I realized the key obstacle – her insistence to “Shining Your Sink” daily. While for her and many of her followers this one task seemed to be the catalyst which lead them on the road to recovery, and for a time it made me feel accomplished as well, I discovered today that there is another task which gives me a far better feeling of accomplishment – making my bed.

(Disclaimer…) Please understand, I am by no means criticizing nor condemning the FlyLady’s system. In fact, aside from that and a few other fundamental ideas, I have been able to implement a number of her suggestions quite successfully. My point is that there is no ONE cookie-cutter way to victory – over any area of struggle, except of course surrendering it to Jesus Christ. Even then, (aside from the rare, miraculous and complete delivery) there is usually some work involved on our part in order to see His work through us and in us as testimony. But… that’s another blog.

There is a very popular saying in the 12-step recovery program to “take what you need and leave the rest.” If all of us who have read this “Shine Your Sink” method followed it “to a T” we would all be lemmings falling off the edge of the successful housekeeping cliff. Unless shining your sink truly does work to encourage you, find that one thing that gives you a daily sense of accomplishment, leaves you unsatisfied if neglected, and just DO it!

We are all created uniquely in our mother’s womb. (Psalm 139:13) As the body of Christ, we are many members. (1 Corinthians 12:20) We can’t all be a big toe!

So ladies, take today and find YOUR sink!

No comments:

Post a Comment