Friday, June 30, 2017

The Seeder Chest 2.0 ~ Christlike Character

The path to self-discovery is ridden with distraction, confusion, and doubt. As we continue to journey on this path to eternity, we face so many questions, hardships, and pain. We seek answers, often from those just as puzzled as ourselves.

As I contemplated what to write for this blog’s return, dubbing it “The Seeder Chest 2.0,” I thought, no better time than the present to share what is going on in my own life discovery. I am currently studying the Fruit of the Spirit – love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Though being certain it is not yet time to speak on those specific topics, I will share today what is being stirred in my heart and soul in regard to these glaring characteristics of a person sold out for Christ.

Each June, the Scripture Jeremiah 29:11 comes alive as our high school senior class prepares to walk across that stage and onto their life journeys. It states, “For I know the thoughts (NASB uses the word ‘plans’) that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.” (NKJV) Whether you’ve been raised in a solid, stable family or one of chaos, the sight of your future at that point can be quite terrifying. But God’s Word tells us He has a purpose for us. Self-awareness and purpose is what gives us motivation, enthusiasm, and ultimately - joy.

One of my first influential studies some fifteen years or so ago was Experiencing God by Henry and Richard Blackaby. It centers on the verse, “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit, for without Me you can do nothing.” It never ceases to amaze me how I can read a verse of Scripture seemingly a thousand times, and all of a sudden one day it takes on a new, deeper meaning. I’ve always thought of the ‘fruit’ as that being the result of my efforts to help lead the lost to Christ. And while I’m sure that is a big part of the definition here, the life-giving fruit of salvation, my recent study gave me an A-Ha! *** BING *** kind of revelation… this is also speaking of the FRUIT of the Spirit! Go ahead, you can chuckle… my hubby always says I was solely created for his amusement… 😉 ❤️

So take heart dear reader, there is hope! While this life is one HUGE, seemingly impossible process, it builds character… Christ-like character if you seek Him as Romans 5:3-5 assures us, “… we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character, and character, hope. Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.” From which we derive, the Fruit of the Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment