Monday, August 7, 2017

No Regrets, Part 1

Ever get to the end of a time period only to find things didn’t turn out the way you planned? As the last nine weeks wind down to an end, and I face the beginning of a new school year, I look back and wonder… where the heck did the time go?! 😆

The items on my summer task list were not life nor death, but nonetheless I could allow the unchecked boxes to weigh me down and I find myself at a crossroads. In one direction, I could let the feeling of failure cause a shut down in which I become ineffective and potentially sabotage this fresh start of a school year which is about to begin in a week and a half. In the other direction, I could look at the few things I was able to accomplish – from completely rearranging and reorganizing our music room and home office to successfully snaking both drains in our bathroom adding rudimentary plumbing to my résumé and saving a few dollars. Facing a “cup half full or half empty” analogy, I choose the positive outcome believing that what I did I was purposed to do in the given time. I additionally recall that despite our inability to travel as desired this summer, the opportunity to help with worship at a newly planted church about 120 miles away was an added bonus to our initial summer plans of hiding out and staying cool. Truth be told, it is something my husband has been hoping for that has now been realized.

I have a lot to be thankful for, and I must remember that His mercies are new every morning. Should I choose to regret not completing certain items not only is an insult to God and the blessings He saw fit to bestow and the given direction we should go over this summer vacation, I am also reminded that just because they were on MY “To Do” list, doesn’t mean they were on His. This isn’t a cop out, but an acknowledgement that He is a much better driver than I when it comes to fulfilling goals.

Philippians 3:13 states, “Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead…” 2 Corinthians 7:10 reminds us, “For godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation, not to be regretted; but the sorrow of the world produces death.” And let’s not forget what it means to FAIL – First Attempt In Learning. (See my blog, “Failure is Not Final” https://goo.gl/Xh96iW)

Next week, I’m going to discuss some major circumstances that could tempt us to hang on a little tighter to regret.

So if you ever find yourself feeling down because you cannot find anything to show for your efforts, just keep looking up… and remember no regrets!

Until next time… ❤️

No comments:

Post a Comment